Monday, July 27, 2009

Drinking for the fiscally challenged

The most often used novelty kitchen gadget in my house is my citrus press. One of the ways I resign myself to allowing my (fabulous) friends to buy me drinks is by always offering them a tasty cocktail when they visit. I have a decent selection of smooth but affordable liquor and I try to keep limes and lemons on hand.* I like to think I can make them something as tasty as they would get at a bar so it's a reasonable exchange. Crap liquor is not something I'm willing to consume no matter how poor I end up and I'm not interested in forcing it on my friends. With a little knowledge you don't have to sacrifice taste for your budget.

My affordable favorites:
Bellringer Gin $10.95 - Stronger than your average gin at 88 proof
Evan Williams Black Label Bourbon $13.95
Old Overholt Rye $16.95 - Makes a fine inexpensive Sazerac
Lunazul Tequila $18.95
Lillet Blanc $14.29 - Refreshing with soda water and a splash of OJ
Rittenhouse 100 Proof Rye $16.15 - Also a fine choice for a Sazerac
Luksusowa Potato Vodka $15.95

(Unfortunately all these prices will be up about 10% come August. The WA government wants to use booze to make up for some budget shortfalls.)

An easy rule to follow for experimenting with drinks is to use 2 parts liquor, 1 part sweet (usually simple syrup), 1 part sour (usually citrus of some sort). Adjust to taste. I almost universally use 2oz of my base liquor which works out to 12 1/2 drinks per bottle.

Simple Syrup is ridiculously easy to make and great to keep on hand. You can buy it in a bottle at Trader Joe's for $2.49 but I recommend making it yourself after the initial bottle purchase. It was too confusing when we stored it in a tequila bottle. Just dissolve sugar in boiling water at a 1:1 ratio. Cool and bottle. It should be stored in the fridge and will last for a long time. Use it to sweeten tea, coffee, or make fresh lemonade!

Lemonade
2 small lemons ($.50 from TJ's but you can do better at Chinese markets)
2 Tbsp Simple Syrup (dirt cheap)
Water or soda water

Squeeze lemons in to a cup, add simple syrup, top with water, stir.

http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Stainless-Steel-Citrus-Juice-Press/dp/B0002IBOAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1248731133&sr=8-1

* Most of the liquor purchasing was done before I lost my job so I am fortunate enough to only need to restock the base alcohols.

No comments: