Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lazy Breakfast

Breakfast has the least variety of all my meals. Ninety percent of the time it will be either oatmeal, an omelette, or bacon & eggs.

My technique for cooking up bacon & eggs was something I picked up during my first visit to Japan. My sister and I were traveling the country, lodging with families our old houseguest had met through a bulletin board for women with young children. This was in 2000 when staying with strangers you met on the internet was not quite as common.

As an eighteen year old with very little experience with meat (but a love for overcooked bacon), when one of our host moms served us a conglomerate of bacon & eggs for breakfast it blew my mind. It's like bacon, and eggs, but... so much more! For years I would think wistfully back to that meal but it wasn't until last year that it occurred to me that surely I could recreate such a simple dish at home. That's right, it took me years to realize that I, too, could take the revolutionary step of frying my eggs and bacon together.

Bacon & Eggs
2 slices of bacon - usually Niman Ranch Applewood Bacon from TJ's ($.78)
2 eggs ($.42)

Total: $1.20

Fry up one side of the bacon. Flip so they're parallel with about 3 inches between them and crack both eggs in between. They should cook up as one unit. Fry until desired level of doneness, flipping them for a few seconds at the end.

If you want to cut down the fat you can pour the excess bacon grease in to a jar before frying the eggs. I store it in the fridge and use it to cook up everything I can think of.

No comments: