Monday, July 27, 2009

Change in my stomach

Earlier this year I became one of the unfortunate masses who lost their jobs due to layoff. Six months in to unemployment and my lifestyle has changed dramatically. I am thankful that I was raised in a frugal household but my taste for the finer things in life sure didn't leave with my income.

It's easy to tell someone to stop eating out and make your own tea and coffee to save money. In practice I'm considerably more productive in a coffee shop (I'd do the library but the internet keeps going out) and going out for food or drinks is an essential part of networking. Cut out those expenses and my job hunt would be hampered.

At the end of the day, I'm finding that almost my entire food budget is spent on tea, coffee, and cocktails and I have to eat on the cheap. I love to eat but this has never translated in to any great culinary feats. I don't like recipes that use many ingredients because I don't like ending up with a bunch of things that need to be used up. Everything I eat is simple, quick, and has a short ingredients list. My diet isn't the most well-balanced but it's not the worst and at least I prepare my own food. Until I have regained my old lifestyle I've decided to document my meals for the cheap and lazy.

Tuna & Avocado Salad
Serving of bagged salad (About $1 worth)
1/2 an avocado ($.60)
1/2 can of tuna ($.75)
Tuscan Salad Dressing ($.20)

Mix. The tuna and avocado make this surprisingly filling!

Total: $2.55

Serving costs are rough estimates because I didn't have the foresight to save the receipts. I'll try to do better in the future!

No comments: