Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Spur Gastropub

I've been curious about the reincarnation of the old Mistral space so when I heard that Spur Gastropub was holding a soft opening last Friday I immediately made plans with my sister to be the first ones in the door. I like to beat the bar crowds so I can actually chat with my bartenders.

For the soft launch every customer was asked to fill out a comment sheet in exchange for receiving a free cocktail and appetizer. We chose the Slow Poached Butterfish and Free Range Chicken Confit for our appetizers and finished with the Pistachio Financiers for dessert. If you don't care for the taste and texture of raw fish (like my sister) the slow poach preparation is probably not ideal. I enjoyed it and thought that it paired perfectly with the peas and morels. The Chicken Confit was a hit with both of us. The skin was crispy and flavorful and the meat was tender and fell easily off the bones.

My sister had marked the confit as her favorite dish prematurely and scratched it off immediately after her first taste of dessert. A warm pistachio cake with foie gras ice cream atop olive oil powder and a cute little elderflower liqueur and lillet gelee. It was perfection.

Kevin, who will be tending bar on Fridays and Sundays, knows our drinking habits well and easily guided us to drinks he knew we'd enjoy. My sister ordered La Rocia, a drink reminiscent of sangria made with tequila, red wine, and stone fruit and topped with a red wine foam. She's the one who hasn't developed a taste for liquor and she loved it. I am partial to drinks with a base of rye whiskey so The Foreigner was an easy choice. The drink was of the same vein as my usual cocktails of choice (Sazeracs & Torontos) but with variations of herbal/fruity qualities that I found pleasing.

A really nice touch was the house made corn nuts. I'm praying that these are complimentary with every visit! They were delicious and we devoured them voraciously.

Spur Gastropub on Urbanspoon
http://spurseattle.com/
Daily: 5pm - 2am

No comments: